Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Going Green - update

So our quest to go GREEN continues and now I have incorporated it into saving money (so the kids can go to Las Brisas). I am now officially saving cans and bottles and hope to pay for 1/2 of one of the tuition's, and then figure out how to cut costs to make up the other 1/2. And let me tell you I am not prideful one single bit, if you invite me over and serve me a drink in a can or glass bottle, I WILL take it home with me.
There is a man in Wildomar that walks around all day collecting cans and I would be willing to bet that he has more in savings then most of us. I'm sure that it helps he lives in a tent and doesn't have 3 dogs, 2 kids, a boat, motorcycles, trailer and a diesel truck.
Okay back on topic...
Our water bill is crazy in the summer because Mike likes to have a very green yard - I am trying to get him to skip a day of water - so far not working. So my other ways to save water will have to work.
1. Kids are taking showers and not baths - my kids LOVE baths and they could take 3 a day if I let them. Also if the swim at Cami's...well that is their shower for the day (see no pride).
2. We are using the 60's motto "If it is yellow be mellow, if it is brown flush it down" - took the kids a minute to think what could possible be "brown" - they were so funny when they figured it out, and then we had to play they "what if it is green or blue or RED" We told them "flush if green or blue and come get us if it is RED". So if you come visit and there is a bit of pee in the toilet, please don't be alarmed and just know that the Oursler's are saving water for our planet and saving money on our bill. Soren was explaining it to the boys there other day and I had to tell him guests don't have to participate.
3. Swimming at neighbors pool to cool down - inviting myself over to swim, both my neighbors always say it is okay to come swim anytime and sometimes I feel weird about it - Well no longer... Besides they know I will bring good food.
4. Cold water laundry only - okay so I am "green" at being green - Mike tells me yesterday, cold water is saving us money on our gas bill not our water - duh!!

I am addicted to blogs these days and it is a great stress reliever - one of my favorites is (okay going to see if I can link it)http://walkslowlylivewildly.com/. It has alot of links to other great blogs and filled good information about being green, being spiritual, eating raw etc...

I still have a long way to go - my next goals are:
1. Vegetable garden
2. composting
3. no papertowels - cloth only. I don't think I will ever get the family to use cloth wipes in the bathroom (read that blog above and you will see lots of people do that)
4. Diva Cup - Google it and you will see what it is....remember no pride
5. Vegetarian - this one is the toughest of all but everything I read, people are losing weight like crazy by not eating meat.

Okay that is enough for now, I'm off to start my work day. My job is filled with stress but I need to work harder then ever so I can keep those kiddos at Las Brisas.

Oh and keep praying for me, any kind of prayer will work.

Have a great Wednesday - Caroline

1 comment:

Shelley E said...

good for you...we are saving our cans/bottles too- I think we made about 120 the last time we took it in. We are also doing the if it is yellow be mellow thing...I hope the kids can continue to go to Las Brisas...see you tomorrow!